The Zones of Regulation is a 10 week course designed to help students gain skills in consciously regulating their actions, which in turn leads to increased control and problem solving abilities. Using a cognitive behavior approach, the curriculum’s learning activities are designed to help students recognize when they are in different states called “zones,” with each of four zones represented by a different color. In the activities, students also learn how to use strategies or tools to stay in a zone or move from one to another.
Students explore calming techniques, cognitive strategies, and sensory supports so they will have a toolbox of methods to use to move between zones. To deepen students’ understanding of how to self-regulate, the lessons set out to teach students these skills: how to read others’ facial expressions and recognize a broader range of emotions, perspective about how others see and react to their behavior, insight into events that trigger their less regulated states, and when and how to use tools and problem solving skills.
How will the program help my child?
With the Zones of regulation, families and their children are encouraged to learn how to:
- Self-regulate their body through identifying and understanding their feelings
- Identify their physical characteristics associated with their feelings and when to implement calming or alerting strategies/tools
- Identify triggers that cause children to feel unregulated
- Manage their sensory needs
- Utilise social thinking strategies within the moment that will assist with problem solving conflicts
Age group: 6 – 18 years of age. Groups of up to 8 children.
(we structure the groups very carefully to maintain optimal learning)
Sessions: 10 x 60 minute sessions for children.
10 x 15 minute parent sessions (conducted at the end of each child session).
Parents will learn the weekly activity and how to reinforce new skills at home.
Cost: $2150.00 (includes all sessions and work books)